In-Person/Online Hybrid Course with 80-Hour Clinical Externship
Offered during Spring, Summer and Fall Terms
This comprehensive course prepares students to work as a pharmacy technician in a retail or other pharmacy setting. Course content includes: pharmacy sterile compounding, dose conversions, aseptic technique, the handling of sterile products, total parenteral nutrition (TPN), dispensing of prescriptions, inventory control and billing and reimbursement.
- Tuition: $1,399
Includes 80-hour clinical externship and all textbooks and materials
- Select Class: See Class Schedule
- How to Register: See Get Started
- Contact: For more information, advising and in-depth course questions, call (877) 261-1484
- General Information: Email Isabel Seiden
This 50-hour course, plus an 80-hour clinical externship, will prepare students to work as a pharmacy technician in a retail or other pharmacy setting and to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) exam.
This comprehensive Pharmacy Technician course provides training in the following areas:
- Role of the pharmacy technician
- Pharmacy history/discussion of various practice settings and the technician certification process
- Recruiting by pharmacy specialty
- "Evolution of Pharmacy"
- Review of hospital pharmacy setting, retail practice, regulatory agencies involved with a pharmacy practice, long term care practice setting, mail order pharmacy, home care pharmacy practice
- Pharmacy measures, roman numerals, abbreviations
- Review of generic drugs, basic biopharmaceuticals, dosage forms, patient profiles
- Prescription label requirements, order transcription, ordering and inventory control, drug pricing, third party reimbursement
- Formularies, unit dose systems, emergency and crash carts, house supplies, automatic stop orders, calculating number of doses required
- All major classes of drugs including top brand names and generic drugs
- Aseptic technique, handling of sterile products including antineoplastic agent considerations
- Basics of IV solutions, calculating 24 hour supply of IV solutions, percentages and electrolytes preparations
- The metric system
- Apothecaries' and avoirdupois systems of measurement
- Children's doses
- Allegation method, math review
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN), demonstration of TPN admixture, hands-on practice of IV admixture and parenteral medication preparation.