Students who have earned the certificate and are in good academic standing are eligible for a committee letter. Complete the appropriate Pre-Health Post-Bac Certificate Form when you have completed your certificate coursework.
A committee letter is a narrative of a student’s academic history (undergraduate, graduate and post-bac), their motivation and preparation for their pre-health path, and their observed personal qualities and characteristics.
The committee members include the program director, co-directors and teaching faculty in the program.
In order for the committee to write a quality letter, we ask that students thoughtfully complete the Committee Letter Questionnaire for information about their academics and experiences, particularly for the time before they joined the post-bac program. In addition, the letter includes academic performance in the post-bac program, comments, and observations based on the relevant interactions a student has with advisors, faculty and staff. This does not include confidential or sensitive information that you have shared with your advisors or faculty, but rather is focused on a student’s interpersonal skills, maturity, and professional behavior.
Some of the qualities assessed include:
- academic performance;
- scientific inquiry/curiosity;
- collaboration with peers;
- demonstrated respect for others;
- attendance and participation in classes and at program events including speaker series, seasonal meetings, and recognition of achievement celebrations;
- honesty and integrity;
- willingness to take on challenging coursework;
- for CCTs, taking the standard number of our core classes is considered sufficiently challenging
- capacity for improvement.
The committee members value the opportunity to get to know their students. A student's presentation of above listed qualities is the basis for the committee letter and any endorsement. These categories are:
- Strongly recommended
- Recommended with reservation
There is no limit to the number of strong recommendations. Therefore, we encourage students to work cooperatively as they strive to be their best academic and professional selves.