The Spanish/English Interpretation (Legal/Court) program has been discontinued and is not accepting applications. The last semester of instruction for current and former students will be summer 2024. Please contact Eduardo Cerpa with any questions.
To be admitted, students must pass the College of Professional & Global Education's online Bilingual Entrance Exam to demonstrate university level proficiency in Spanish and English AND have 60 semester units of prior college work (BA preferred).
Prospective students who pass both sections of the bilingual entrance exam but don’t have the 60 semester units of college credit may petition for conditional admission to the program. Please upload a completed petition for waiver of college regulations with your online application.
Students must reside in California or an authorized state. See State Authorization.
The Online Bilingual Entrance Exam is no longer offered.
After you have been notified that you have passed the Bilingual Entrance Exam, complete the SF State Extension Cal State Apply Online Application for Spanish/English Interpretation.
- Review Cal State Apply Application TIPS
- Go to Cal State Apply, select the term you wish to apply for, and hit the Apply button.
- Create your Cal State Apply account and complete your Extended Profile. Be sure to choose “Certificate” for the “Degree Goal” in this section.
- Complete the Personal Information, Academic History, and Supporting Materials sections of the application.
- To add the Spanish/English Interpretation Program application:
- Click on “Add Program” at the top of the page.
- Search for “San Francisco State University” under campus and “Extended Education” for source and choose the term you are planning to apply for.
- If you have a bachelor’s degree, choose the application designated for “Post-Bachelor Applicants.”
- If you do not have a bachelor’s degree, choose the application designated for “Pre-Bachelor Applicants.”
- Complete the Required and Optional Questions
- Upload a copy of your Unofficial Transcript
- Submit the application
All students must supply official transcripts of their college work to be accepted into the program. Students with baccalaureate or academic associate degrees need to provide official transcripts from the college from which they graduated. Students without such a degree must provide college transcripts from all the colleges they attended. Submit any unofficial transcripts showing college coursework at the time you complete your Cal State Apply application.
Please send hard copy original official transcript(s) to:
College of Professional & Global Education
San Francisco State University
160 Spear Street, Suite 1220
San Francisco, CA 94105
Please send electronic original official transcript(s) to:
Contact your school(s) and request that your official electronic transcripts be sent to the College of Professional & Global Education through a secure third-party transcript vendor. Please send electronic original official transcript(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Current SF State degree seeking students and graduates are exempt from the Official Transcript submission requirement.
Within seven to ten business days, you will be notified by email that your Certificate Program Application Form has been processed. You may then register for the Introduction to Interpreting class.
To register, select your class on the class schedule, click the Add to Shopping Cart button, and follow the instructions when checking out. Early registration is advised.
The required courses in this program carry full upper-division academic credit. Some courses may be applied toward a Spanish degree with a faculty advisor approval. For further information, contact the SF State Spanish Language Department (415) 338-1421. Courses taken on a credit/no credit basis may not be used towards a Spanish major.